Friday 31 October 2008

Day 31 of 365: Something Old...



This is the dress my mom wore in 1974 when she was only 22 years old. I can't get over how tiny she was. I remember as a little girl sneaking into her closet to try the dress on and thinking I would some day wear it at my own wedding. However, I didn't inherit my my mother's additional four inches in height, let alone her much flatter chest, so wearing it for my own wedding day just isn't an option. I just always loved the style though -- she was such a hippie.
I'm borrowing one of the lace-up strings from the front of this dress to keep with me tomorrow as my "something old." It will also be a way for me to keep a bit of my mom with me on the day. To be honest, this will be the most difficult of life transitions to experience without my mom. I'm envisioning the next one being the birth of any children -- but this one is something special I would like to have her here with me to share in. I want her to meet Matt and see what a wonderful person he is and how happy he makes me. I suppose in a way she already knows though, right?

I was also able to get my hands on a silver sixpence from Matt's parents. The rhyme goes...

Something old, Something new,
Something borrowed, Something blue,
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

I had only heard the last line a few times, but learned through some web-research tonight that a silver sixpence is supposed to bring wealth and financial security. Hmm, yes please!

Less than 24 hours now...

5 comments:

MrsJenR said...

I am certain she knows what a wonderful man Matt is and will be with you in spirit on your wedding day. I have fond memories of your Mom, she was a great person. I hope your day is all that you have dreamed of, love to you and Matt and cheers to the beginning of a wonderful life for you both!

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow...erm....today for you! I'll have a tasty adult beverage in honor of your nuptials.

Helen said...

Aw, I know how you feel. I always thought my mother would be around for my wedding (next June), but I'll be going it alone as well. I like to think she'll be there in spirit, though, and I'm sure you're the same about your mother.

Have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

Megan, I wish you and Matt all the very best and wish I could be with you on your special day. God bless you both.

I love you,
Aunt Lisa

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

I am SO excited for you Meg!! I didn't get to see this until today 1/11 so you are probably already married.. not sure when the wedding was scheduled for. I can not wait to see pictures. Congrats!! :)