Sunday 5 October 2008

Day 5 of 365: Festival of Water & Light


It was pants. I was sorely disappointed. I had been reading in the paper about it since I arrived in the UK -- The Festival of Water and Lights at the Merry Hill Waterfront. Canal boats were set to each be decorated as a different country. The one pictured above was Holland.

We must have missed the boat parade by the time we got there so we followed the canal path past the bridge to where we saw the remaining boats mooring up. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the boat decorated for America...but the Canadian one was blocking it (grr, Canada). I was not impressed at all by the decorating. I guess I thought there would be a little more to it.

Here's the one for the UK. They had England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in little flagged off sections. The only thing working in their favor was that they used glitter. Still a pretty crap job on the double-decker though.



The only good thing out of this was seeing Mariah Carey (circa "Glitter")...


HAHA! I'm SOOOO joking. Looked like a fun ride though.

At the end of the day, I think this whole event would have been more fun if I:

  • was a child between the ages of 4 and 10
  • had money to buy doughnuts or chips with vinegar
  • could get my face painted (see above, re: having money)
Oh well, free admission...I'll stop.

In other news...the people-watching was fun. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was pants?

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

I love people watching!! :)

It looks like they were having the lights parade in the daylight.. why didn't they wait for it to get darker so that the lights would look better?

But like you said... it was free ;)