Saturday 1 November 2008

Day 32 of 365: Under New Management


We did it!!

DISCLAIMER: And before anyone gets into a tizzy over the blog title -- it is meant in good fun. I joked with Matt that I was going to get him a t-shirt with this phrase on it.

I took the picture of our rings earlier in the week while looking back at our Circle Journey book and reminiscing about everything we have been through to get to this day. When Matt and I first started talking, even before he visited me for the first time in 2006, we started sharing this little journal called a Circle Journey. We would write messages in it to one another and send it back and forth between the US and UK. It was a more personal way to stay in touch, in addition to web-cam conversations on MSN Instant Messenger and phone calls. We thought the book would be filled last August, so I purchased another to take over -- but there happened to be just enough pages left for a few messages. We felt it was appropriate to reserve these for messages for the wedding to put closure to our times of having to be physically separated.

Our day could not have been more beautiful!! (Well, not unless ALL the people we both love and care about could be there -- but thankfully we're planning on having a blessing back in the states in 12-18 months depending on money.)

The day (for me) started out with Em and I heading down to the hairdressers to sculpt my bonce. We have nearly play-by-play pictures, which turned out so cute and my hair was wonderful. We stopped on the way back to Em's for some bacon, sausage, egg and mushroom sandwiches and Daz then headed off to meet Matt at the flat. Em then got started on my nails and did a superb job -- even adding a little bling to my thumbs. We got dressed after that and just in time for the wedding car, a Jaguar XJ6 (incidentally the actual car once belonging to former UK Prime Minister, John Major), to pick us up at 3 o'clock.

When we arrived at Dudley Register office, David (my new father-in-law/our photographer) was ready with his camera. Matt was already being interviewed and I was ushered into the Castle Suite room and told to go sit next to him. He turned around to see me walking toward him and when I sat down, he smiled and told me I looked gorgeous. I didn't want to stop looking at him because, in turn, he looked so unbelievably handsome and I felt my heart melting just being next to him. Squee! So many reasons why I love this man!!

Our guests (Emma, Daz, Josie & David) were then allowed into the room and the ceremony began shortly thereafter. I don't know if this holds true for every bride, but I can honestly say, there is nothing more gorgeous than hearing your future husband saying his vows while staring deep into your eyes. When my turn came, it was all I could do to hold back tears -- and it didn't help seeing Matt holding his own back as well. I could even feel my legs shaking at one point. I'm not sure who was able to watch on the web cam, but we did give a wave to everyone at home watching...so we hope they saw.

We took some photos after the ceremony and then a few more out at the Priory ruins...but it was so cold and windy that we decided to cut it short and head off to Dunsley Hall for our dinner. Since the dinner itself didn't start until 7 o'clock, we were taken to a cozy sitting room where we had some scones with jam & cream and a few drinks while we waited. I followed Matt & Daz into the bar area when they stepped outside for a quick smoke and Matt surprised me when he came back in . He stood in the center of the room and motioned his finger for me to come over to him. I came over and he grabbed me close and started to dance with me to the soft music playing in the background. This was especially sweet because Matt and I had never slow-danced before this.

We had a lovely meal shortly after and I cannot remember when I had tasted a steak so good. After dinner we headed to the bar area for a nice chat and to wind down the night before the taxi came. We were joined by Daz's mom, Beth and her husband Simon and we were so happy they were able to pop out for a drink with us.

We are both so lucky to have had the help and support of Josie & David. Nothing would have happened as nicely if it weren't for them and I don't think any amount of "thank yous" can express how deeply and eternally grateful we both are. Never in my life have I met such genuine and caring people and I only hope that someday we will be able to express our gratitude. In addition, when it comes to being a Maid of Honour or Best Man -- we couldn't have searched and found two people we wanted more and were also thankful to have share in our day, as Emma & Daz. We love you guys!!

Also, we want to thank our family and friends, who were unable to attend, for all of their kind words and blessings on our special day. I will be posting a link to pictures as soon as I have them all collected.

3 comments:

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

Awwww Meg.. SO excited for the two of you!! Can't wait for the link to the pictures I'm sure everything is simply beautiful. :)

Unknown said...

congratulations!

Lucky Dragonfly said...

Congrats! Its a week of congratualations for you!