Sunday 30 May 2010

Year 2 Day 242: Eye On The Prize


I actually hadn't taken a photo for today and this was only snapped just moments before starting to get Ryan settled in a quiet room for bed. It reminded me how he makes some of the funniest facial expressions. I've commented that from birth he can look ever so serious sometimes.

Ryan joined in for his first proper Sunday tea this afternoon. He was offered roast carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. The broccoli and cauliflower ended up mashed all over his tray, but he did manage a decent "bite" of carrot so morning will reveal if any was consumed.

The best part about Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) is that there is no pressure for him to eat a certain amount and no need to decrease breastfeeding. He is still getting all, if not most, of his nutrients from breast milk and he is being given the chance to choose what goes in his mouth so he's self-weaning at his own pace.

Now despite the timestamp, I'm typing this after midnight as we have just made three attempts to put him down -- each one delaying my typing the blog. So far the longest he has lasted is 35 minutes before waking up in an absolute fit and clenching his gums. I even dosed him with the "heavy duty" baby ibuprofen and he's still feeling pain. We've now followed up with some teething powders to see if that takes the edge off and allows him a bit of sleep.

These teeth better make their cameo soon...or mama bear's going in after them!

2 comments:

Crazy Lady said...

Try Bonjela. My husband is British, but we live in America. When my son was teething, I had to have my mother-in-law send me over packages of Bonjela. It was the only thing that soothed my son!

Meg said...

I wish Bonjela worked. I still have three quarters of a tube left and it seems absolutely ineffective against his pain. I doubt Kryptonite could make his pain budge at this rate, to be honest. We think he has several coming at once.