Monday 14 September 2009

Day 349 of 365: Shopping Woes


I had to pop out to Asda today to pick up some lunch meat and cheese slices for sandwiches so Matt would have something to eat when he came home for his dinner break. This is something I absolutely loathe as the car park there is "Pay and Display" and despite the fact you get your £1 refunded through your shopping, it still means you have to dig around for a stupid pound coin to pay for it in the first place! This irritates me so much that although Asda is less than 5 minutes (driving) from our house in Brierley Hill, I would almost rather drive the 10 extra minutes in traffic through Kingswinford to go to Morrisons...where I don't have to pay to park.

The other thing that grinds my gears is the fact that no matter what time of day or what day of the week you decide to do your shopping...everyone else and their grandmother has decided on that very same day and time as well. You would think it was the second coming of Christ or the Apocalypse even with how rammed the aisles are with people. In addition, it's not even in a sensible way...just all willy nilly up and down the frozen foods with shopping trolleys blocking any through route to the other side. So you can forget nipping quickly down aisle 4 for cheese singles and queue up behind the 15 rogue pensioners deciding if they would rather have mild or medium cheddar.

The final thing I will mention before I end my rant are the self-checkout lanes. I don't think they should require any degree of skill to use, however, it never fails that I end up waiting with my 5 items or less behind the family of seven who need to meticulously inspect every item to locate the bar-code before they slowly pass it over the scanner and then look at the item again before placing it in the bag. The best is when they try to multi-task by attempting to scan several items after each other and realise they must first bag the previous item so the self-checkout can register the weight before they can move on to the next thing. It is inevitable that a checkout clerk must visit each of the stations several times to "help" the geniuses and bypass the system with their special password. I'm just glad I'm not typically one of these people.

But I digress...rant over.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I would definitely drive the distance to not have to pay and display. I can't stand that you have to put a pound in to get a trolley, let alone having to have one to pay for parking!